St. Edmund’s Church
The parish of St Edmund was founded by Bishop Cutheard, around AD 900. The Normans replaced the original wooden church with the present stone building with rounded arches and the present church was built between 1246 and 1256, in Norman times, to replace the original wooden church, with later additions. The tower was added in the 15th century by Robert Rodes. The church contains some fine brasses and 17th century woodwork.
Ceddesfield Hall was originally the rectory to the church, built after the first rectory burnt down; it is now occupied by the Sedgefield Community Association. A Latin inscription above the door states, “By the generosity of Samuel and Shute Barrington, one an Admiral of the Fleet, the other Bishop of Durham, whose achievements are praised by everyone.” The hall was rebuilt in 1793, by the Barringtons, for their nephew, the rector. The grounds, now a public area, were laid out in the mid-18th century to a design by Joseph Spence.
The Manor House
The Manor House occupies a prominent position at the head of the green. With three storeys it is a fine example of Queen Anne style architecture. Built in 1707 by Robert Wright Esq., as the sundial on the house proclaims. The house was at one time part of the Hardwick Estate (1756-1792), and from 1907-1974 the offices of Sedgefield Rural District Council and 1974-1990 Sedgefield Magistrate’s Court. The house has been carefully restored and is currently used as a venue for weddings and events as well as being a business hub.
The Parish Hall was founded in 1849 as the Institute of Literature and Science, but later rebuilt as a Mechanics Institute. The hall was extensively refurbished in 2008 and continues to host a wide range of social events and entertainment.
Hardwick Hall Country Park
Hardwick Park is an 18th century Grade II listed site.
There are a number of sporting venues and organisations in Sedgefield, the most famous of which is probably Sedgefield Racecourse, a regional thoroughbred horse-racing venue. There have been horse races since as early as 1732, and in 1846 officially recognised meetings began.
We can provide The Hardwick Arms racing Experience.
· Arrive & Early Check In
· Late Breakfast
· Transport to The Racecourse
· Ticket for the Meeting
· Transport from the Racecourse
· Evening Meal
· Relax late in the evening in the Bar, Lounge and spend your winnings with us
We are very blessed with some great value gold courses around the area. Book individually and stay and play with us, or even let us arrange your golf with our own negotiated rates for green fees and transport. Our Best 4 within 25 miles mixing it up are:
Eaglescliffe & District Golf Club (The Herds Home Course)
Designed by legendary golf course architects, James Braid and Henry Cotton, Eaglescliffe and District golf club is not for the faint of heart
Type: Parkland Length: 6038 Par: 70
Ramside Hall Hotel & Golf Club
Every level of ability is catered for at the Ramside golf club, just outside Durham, where there are three different nine hole courses.
Type: Parkland Length: 6500 Par: 70
Seaton Carew Golf Club
The two Championship standard links courses at Seaton Carew are hugely popular with golfers, no doubt because of the range of abilities they cater for.
Type: Links Length: 6622 Par: 72
Wynyard Golf Club
Set in 270 acres of mature parkland, The Wellington Course at Wynyard Golf Club is rated as one of the UK’s finest golf courses.
Type: Parkland Length: 7063 Par: 72